.

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Wildflowers for my Birthday

Or at least the chance to enjoy them with out going into allergy induced misery. That would have been birthday present enough for me. But I got so much more for my birthday this year. My mom came on Thursday night to watch the kids. Taylor and I left on Friday morning for Waco. The kids were so excited to have Grammy all to themselves. She got to go up to Sophie's school that day and read to her class and eat lunch with her. Sophie loved every minute of it.

Meanwhile, Taylor and I were driving through bluebonnet covered back roads to Waco for an interview at Truett. Taylor is starting his Doctorate of Ministry (D.Min., not demon) and was required to have a sit down interview with some of the professors. I must admit I have not been jumping up and down with excitement for him to take this new step. It will require him to be away from family and church for 2 weeks at a time, several different times during next year. However, as we walked through the halls of Truett I could sense his excitement. He loves that place, the academic atmosphere and the exchange of thoughts and ideas. He loves those professors and he loves to learn. I couldn't help but feel a little bit of excitement for him. The interview went great. It felt more like a meeting of old friends than it did an interview.

That night we had a wonderful dinner out at Diamondbacks to celebrate my birthday. Then we rented a movie, bought some dessert and spent the rest of the evening relaxing in our hotel room. I slept late, got up and ran on the treadmill, had a late breakfast, and soaked in the jacuzzi tub until time to check out. Then we made our way slowly back to San Angelo. I have never seen anything like the wildflowers this year. Last week I would have had to just groan and shut my eyes, but thanks to my 3 new wonderful prescriptions I was able to get out and enjoy the beauty.


Pioneer Woman always takes pictures like this. It made me feel cool like her.






We got home to Mom and Sophie relaxing on the back porch swing while John Curtis slept. The garage and the back porch had been swept, my sink had been bleached (this is a thing my mom likes to do), the kids' laundry had been down, the dishwasher was empty, the house was all picked up, and my freezer was full of food from Sam's. Did I forget anything, Mom? I really want my Mom to move in with us.

Today was my actual birthday. This morning Taylor stayed home long enough to make me breakfast and let me open presents. After church he invited my Sunday school friends out to Double Dave's. It was such fun chaos with kids running everywhere and a thousand conversations going on at once. I loved it! I took a wonderful afternoon nap in front of the Master's and then cut into this yummy cake Taylor made.


John Curtis dug in with both hands.

How blessed I am!

4 comments:

Grammy said...

You may not be Pioneer Woman, but you can be Suburbia Woman. Glad you had a good birthday. May this year be filled with blessings and wonderful times. I love you!

The Taylors said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Taylors said...

Happy Birthday Alyson! If Grammy is ever headed towards Augusta, she can stay with us!

TeamBortzfield said...

Send Grammy this way! Love you Aly glad you had a great trip and birthday. You're always April 11 to me!