.

Monday, August 27, 2012

First Day of School

Well, the day finally came when my little man went off to kindergarten.  I had a hard time with this with Sophie and it wasn't any easier this time around.  Leading up to the day may have been harder.  Sophie was excited before she started, JC was not.  Sophie likes to make new friends.  JC has never had to make new friends.  Until today he's been in the same school with most of the same kids since he was a year old.  I could have left him at that school (my school) for one more year, yet we decided a long time ago to move him to Sophie's school.  We knew this was the right decision for him.  Yet that very decision woke me up many times this summer wondering what in the heck I had been thinking.  Taylor just shakes his head and rolls his eyes.

It's a big change!  For 8 years my days have revolved around the kids.  Even though I've worked part time for the past few years, JC has been with me.  He went to work with me, we saw each other multiple times during the mornings, and he went home with me.  It was JC and Mom together all the time.  Yes, I realize it was time to cut the cord.

 Getting ready with back to school goodies for the teachers,
 and the kids.
 He may not have admitted he was excited, but he sure was up bright and early!



 I wasn't worried about this girl at all!
 She's a pro at this!
 So glad he has her to look after him.
 
 He hesitated briefly when we got to the door, but when we walked in he followed and gave his gift to his teacher.
 A quick hug and kiss from Mom and he was off!
 He got in line for breakfast and never looked back at me.
 
Sophie only wanted us to walk her to her building.  Such a big girl!
 
So we all did okay.  And then for the first time I worked in my classroom all by myself.  Then I had lunch with a friend all by myself.  Then I walked around Hobby Lobby, Target, and The Teacher Store all by myself.
 
The verdict:  Kindergarten is fun!  He said he was "as quiet as a mouse all day". He didn't make any new friends yet because you have to talk to people to do that and it will be a few days before he does that.
Sophie loved 3rd grade and started her new ballet class tonight.  Big day all around!
 
 
While Sophie was at ballet JC was out, and when he woke up from dinner he wasn't as quiet as a mouse.  He was mad and whiny and yelled at the Wii.  I'm sure we're in for a week of this.  Taylor has to coach 8 of these kindergarten monsters Thursday night.  It should be fun!  Ready to do it all over again tomorrow.


5 comments:

Lindsey said...

Man, why do none of my kids show up the first day with Coke?? He looks so tall in all the pictures-so glad he had a good day!

Grammy said...

Ha! Sounds like fun at your house! He will make friends soon, and have a group ready to celebrate his birthday in December. Sophie looks so big! I knew she would love third grade!

TeamBortzfield said...

big kids! Glad you got some time to yourself. It will be a great year

Julie Walker said...

So glad it was a great first day for the kids! Grant is practicing the quiet as a mouse trick too and has only made one friend thus far. Its hard to be new but thankfully for both they have older sibilings around to watch out for them!

Julie Walker said...

So glad it was a great first day for the kids! Grant is practicing the quiet as a mouse trick too and has only made one friend thus far. Its hard to be new but thankfully for both they have older sibilings around to watch out for them!