.

Wednesday, September 3, 2008

First Day of School






The kids both started school today. I was expecting a few tears, but I got none. I’m thankful for that. I think they were as ready for some routine as I was. Sophie started preschool. This was a big deal in our household. She has been so excited and we’ve been talking about it for months. This morning I wanted lots of pictures, but I didn’t want to be the embarrassing mom in the classroom. So I took a lot at home and stuck my camera in my pocket so I would have it if any of the other parents were taking pictures. I shouldn’t have worried about being the embarrassing mom since there were plenty of them. The room was a zoo! The parents really were not contributing well to a calm first day atmosphere. If there was a child who was already a little afraid to go in, the atmosphere of the room would have been very intimidating with all of the flashes going off. The kids were all sitting at their little tables working puzzles and the parents were lined up along the walls flashing pictures and showing no indication of leaving anytime soon. I had John Curtis and all their bags, lunches, and school supplies for the day, so I was trying to juggle all that and get her signed in. That’s when I heard Sophie’s little voice say, “Mom, I’m going to go in now.” Just like that she walked right into her classroom. She hugged her teacher, sat down at the table, and started working her puzzle. Refusing to be one of the parents adding to the circus, I ran over and gave her a quick kiss, handed her supplies off to her teacher, and yes, snapped a few pictures. Then I was out of there. I guess being a teacher and having had your own class gives you a little empathy for the teacher. She had 15 four year olds to get settled and didn’t really need all the craziness the parents were adding.

One down, one to go. I was almost positive John Curtis was going to cry when I dropped him off. He still gets upset sometimes when I take him to his Sunday school class, and he’s been at the same church since he was six weeks old. He also went to Mom’s Day Out at our church, so he’s never really been left anywhere else. Add in that he’s a Mama’s boy (which I secretly like) and that he’s been with me all summer, I figured I was in for some separation anxiety. I was wrong. He wanted to carry his lunch box all by himself. It was really too heavy for him so he ended up dragging it to his room. His default answer to every question is, “no.” so I was surprised when I asked him if he wanted to go to his class and he nodded yes. He walked right in and started playing. I had to call him over to meet his teacher. Then he gave me a kiss and went back to playing.

I just got back from picking up two tired little kids. John Curtis was sitting on the floor with glazed eyes. Sophie was having fun playing on the playground. I can't get much out of Sophie about how the day went. She doesn't remember her new friends' names. I'll I know is that they went to music and read The Kissing Hand which I had read to her last night. But she had a good day and is happy so I am too.

4 comments:

Lindsey said...

Did she tell you not to talk to her cause she was tired and had been to 'cool all day? :) JC looks so big sitting in his classroom chair. I prayed for all of you this morning so I'm glad the day went so well!

Janet said...

I'm glad the first day was good. They both look so cute, and I love Sophie's dress! That's too funny about being that embarrassing mom in the classroom! I will probably need to watch myself one day!

Kris T said...

Glad the first day went well!

Debbie Mendrop said...

Such exciting times! Firsts are always harder on Mom than kids. So glad things went well. They both look way too big, what happened to the babies????