.

Sunday, May 11, 2008

Happy Mother's Day!!!

Happy Mother's Day to all the mothers out there. On this Mother's Day I'm so thankful for so much in my life. I am incredibly thankful to be the mother of Sophie and John Curtis. I couldn't ask God for more than what He has given me in these two precious ones. Everyday they teach me so much through their unconditional love and trust in me. I pray that I can be the mother He wanted me to be when He entrusted me with them.

Speaking of unconditional love, I am so thankful for my own mom. I felt so safe growing up in her love. She allowed me to be who God created me to be, as frustrating as it must have been at times. I am only just now beginning to understand the frustrations of children's little quirks. My family laughs about it now - the drama of raising Alyson. It has always been kind of a joke to me, something my parents must have laughed at behind closed doors. Now that I am raising a "mini Alyson" I realize those stories must not have been all funny at the time. Sometimes it is hard to know what to do with an ultra sensitive and emotional child. Just last night I said to another parent at a birthday party that I wished Sophie would just jump in there and not miss out on the fun. She was holding back from the mad rush to get the candy out of the pinata. This was after she had burst into tears when she was handed the bat to hit the pinata because all of the adults were watching her. I found myself thinking, "Why can't she just have fun with it like the other kids?" And yet she is ME (you can laugh now Mom and Dad) but I wonder how many times my mom must have thought the exact same thing about me. I never felt those thoughts, though. I always felt completely loved and accepted as I was and I want to say thank you Mom for that. I'm just beginning to realize how difficult this mother thing really is, but I pray I can show Sophie the same unconditional acceptance you showed me. I want her to be who she was created to be, not who I think she should be. (The pictures of me with my Momma are slim these days, though there were a ton of Mom with Sophie)


I am also very thankful today for my mother-in-law, Kay. I'm thankful for the mother she was to Taylor that allowed him to grow into this amazing man that I fell in love with. The love she gave him allowed him to love me, but also overflows now into our children. Taylor is an amazing father and I am so thankful that he has a mother who taught him how to love. I'm also thankful for the way she loves me like a daughter and has accepted me into her family. (This picture is from before Sophie was born. Again, there were a ton of her with the kids. I guess we need to take more pictures of the adults together!)


Most people are lucky to have one good mom figure in their life. I'm very blessed to have an amazing mom, mother-in-law, grandmothers, and many other women in my life who have "mothered" me spiritually and emotionally over the years. Happy Mother's Day!!!!

2 comments:

Kris T said...

God knew exactly what he was doing when he made you the mother of Sophie! You are an encouragement to me just in watching you with your beautiful children.

Debbie Mendrop said...

Oh, Alyson, how sweet! Let me take this moment to thank you for being just who you are. You are a blessing to all who know you, and I am so thankful to be your mother. Let's take more pictures together!