.

Friday, May 30, 2008

Grandaddy

Taylor’s Grandaddy passed away today. He was such a good man who had accomplished much in his life. I’m sad my kids didn’t know him better since he lived in Louisiana, but I’m thankful for the part he plays in their history. When you get married your husband’s family is just that – your husband’s family. It takes a while for them to become your family. But once I had kids I saw Taylor’s rather large family (he has 14 cousins!) as part of my kids’ history. Grandaddy is such a huge part of that history that they will always carry with them, even if they aren’t ever aware of it. He brought Taylor’s mother up in love – his love and the love of God. Without that, Taylor’s mom would not have been the mother she was to him and Taylor would not be the father he is to my kids. I am so thankful for that legacy. His legacy has made it easy for the grace of Christ to be part of our everyday lives. Grandaddy, you will be missed! Thank you for who you were!
Grandaddy and Sophie at his 80th birthday party
Grandaddy and John Curtis last Christmas
Fun with Grandaddy!

By now you all know Andrew Peterson is my favorite artist. When I was thinking about Grandaddy’s legacy today I had to pull out his first CD and listen to the song All the Way Home. Part of it says:

All the way home
They followed the tracks that the saints have trod
By the grace of God
They walked in the rain of His mercy
Let it soak them down to the bone
And they splashed in its puddles
And danced in its streams as they’d go
And, oh, they walked in the rain of His mercy

When they sat in their home
When they walked along the road
When they slept and when they rose
The words of the Lord were impressed upon their minds
And after all this time
I’m carried along like a leaf on a river of faith
And I’ll float

All the way home
Yes, I’ll follow the tracks that the saints have trod
By the grace of God
I’ll walk in the rain of His mercy
Let it soak me down to the bone
And I’ll splash in its puddles
And dance in its streams as I go
And, oh, I’ll walk in the rain of Your mercy
All the way home


5 comments:

Debbie Mendrop said...

What a beautiful tribute! This will be hard for Taylor, I know how much he admired his Grandaddy.

TeamBortzfield said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. It's hard to imagine a world without your grandparents. The memories will always be there but it's so hard to watch them shrink away.

Kris T said...

I'm sorry to hear about Taylor's grandaddy. We'll be thinking of all of you as you are at the funeral and as you travel.

ematwell said...

I'm so sorry for you, Taylor and the whole family. I'm glad that at least you got to know him and can pass along his memory to the kids. I didn't know my grandparents at all and I miss that.

Janet said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. Those are beautiful pictures and beautiful lyrics. I'm glad that there are so many wonderful memories for y'all to hold on to and a cherished family history. We will be praying for y'all!