.

Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Birthday Surprise!




My 30th birthday is this Friday, but I really haven't thought much about it until yesterday. On Tuesdays I usually have lunch with two of my special friends and yesterday they suggested we go to a nice little tea room for my birthday. When we got there I was surprised by a collection of my friends throwing me a surprise birthday lunch. It really was beautiful. There were pink and brown balloons, a beautiful pink cake with white polka dots my sweet friend Leia made, and even my own tiara. They all got me gifts with the theme of 30 - $30 gift certificates, 30 poems, 30 pieces of scrapbook paper, stickers, and ribbon, 30 beads, 30 quarters, and 30 one dollar bills. I was truly surprised by all this. I was also overwhelmed, not just by everyone's generosity, but by friendship. That these ladies would rearrange their busy schedules of work, school, and taking care of kids and make time to give me a special birthday celebration really honored me. It wasn't just getting together for lunch, but a lot of thought and effort went into it and I thank all of you. I was thinking last night how 2 years ago I didn't know any of these girls and I didn't particularly want to. I know that sounds bad, but when we first came to interview here I didn't want to like the people. I was quite content where I was and am not big on change. Of course, anyone who knows the people of Southland knows that it is hard not to like them. I am thankful for each of you and what you add to my life. I realized last night that what I was feeling was a sense of home and that because of friendships, San Angelo truly is home.

1 comment:

TeamBortzfield said...

Happy Bithday Alyson! I can't believe you're 30 today. What beautiful birthday pictures and sweet friends you have. I hope your day is filled with reflection on how much you accomplished in your 20's and how much you can look forward to this new decade. By the time you have your next milestone birthday party, you'll have a teenager! Love you lots Carol (29)