.

Monday, April 7, 2008

Scary Happenings in Mississippi










































My grandparents live in Vicksburg where a huge storm blew through last week. A tree fell on their house and pretty much damaged the whole thing. Thankfully, Grandma was gone and Paw-Paw was on the other side of the house. I didn't realize how bad it really was until they sent pictures this morning. I've been thinking all day how thankful I am that they weren't on the side of the house where the tree fell. They would surely have been killed. Mixed with my relief is a sadness at the loss of a home with many memories. I can't imagine the memories they have from their over 30 years in the house. For most of my life (until I got married) we traveled to Vicksburg at least twice a year. During the summers my sister and I would spend time without our parents there. Most of my memories are outside the house - exploring in the woods, playing Tarzan with the vines, making mud pies, riding the tractor with Paw-Paw, and swinging on the wooden swing he had made. However, the house was special too. It's where we gathered for big family meals, where my sister and I played dress up in Aunt Carol's old dance costumes and Grandma's wedding dress (I know! Can you imagine her letting us do that??) It's also where we opened presents together by the tree that once fell over. It's where you could hide in the hall closet that connected to the hamper in the bathroom and scare someone (I don't appreciate this aspect of the house quite as much since becoming an adult). It's where scary Grandma Mendrop's picture hung glaring at us as we slept in the spare bedroom giving us nightmares. More recently I have memories of my cousins wrestling with my own kids on the living room floor. I'll admit I'm being a bit nostalgic, but that house is part of my childhood and I may never see it again. So all you Mendrops out there, feel free to share in my nostalgia and comment with your own memories.

4 comments:

Debbie Mendrop said...

Aw!! That made me cry. Dad teared up too. That house does hold so many memories. I, too, am thankful they did not sleep late that day!

Lindsey said...

I had no idea how bad it was either until I saw the pictures! You're right-there are a lot of memories there. I remember playing hide and seek in the woods and swimming in that nasty tank behind the house!

TeamBortzfield said...

I am not a Mendrop But I have been lucky enough to visit on occasion as a stopover between beach vacations. I remember watching your tiny grandmother stand on the counter, a sight that made me laugh so hard i got pinched. I also remember loving the idea of the crawl between hamper in the bathroom...I think it was the first thing ya'll showed us when we got there.

watkinsfamily said...

This made me cry when I read it too. I'm so thankful that no one was hurt. We need to find those dance costumes and the wedding dress so Sophie can play dress-up.
Happy Birthday tomorrow Alyson.
Love ya, Carol