.

Saturday, June 14, 2008

Father’s Day

Happy Father’s Day to all you dads out there (I’m sure a lot of men read my blog:) There are two guys I know read it – Dad and Taylor. These are two guys I am so thankful to have in my life. I think dads have a HUGE responsibility to all their children, but as a girl, I know first hand the impact they can make in their daughters’ lives. I honestly believe that the relationship I had with my dad had a direct impact on the way I related to and interacted with guys. My dad always made me feel loved and accepted. He showed an interest in my life and my activities. Occasionally he had to lay down the law and I’m sure I thought I hated him at the time. But the boundaries and security made me feel liked I mattered and was important. I didn’t need to seek approval elsewhere. Sure, there were always the insecurities of adolescence, but I never felt like I had to be someone else in order to be accepted. Because of the love and acceptance I received at home I had enough self worth to seek out healthy relationships – both in friendships and in my dating life. By the time I met Taylor, I knew exactly what I wanted in a relationship and I was secure enough to let him know my standards – even with the risk of scaring him off. I’m thankful to my dad for instilling the confidence in me to do this, but I’m also thankful to Taylor for being secure enough not to be scared off. I am so thankful he is the father of my children because I could not think of a better man to bring them up. When I was pregnant with Sophie and we found out she was going to be a girl I told Taylor what a huge responsibility he had in her life. I told him no pressure, but much of her future relationships with guys depended on her relationship with him. I’m sure he didn’t need me telling him that because his relationship with Sophie has grown out of love, not obligation. They have a very special bond and I am sure that love and security will carry Sophie through many unsure days ahead. I am thankful for these 2 special men in my life. Happy Father’s Day!

2 comments:

Lindsey said...

In our prayer time in church this morning I was thanking God that we were blessed with such a great dad. He had a lot to put up with raising 2 daughters but we could not have asked for a better example of a Godly man. Love you Daddy and Happy Father's Day!!

Bill Mendrop said...

Thank you both for those kind words. I am truly a blessed man to have such wonderful daughters.