.

Friday, June 20, 2008

Sandlin Vacation 2008 Part 2: Memphis

Taylor and I are having a refreshing and relaxing time in Memphis. Taylor's time has mainly been spent attending meetings and catching up with old friends. My time has been spent relaxing, attending an occasional worship service, and catching up with old friends. I even spent a few hours reading by the pool yesterday. I have been some what productive in spurts getting school work done in the hotel. Even this is relaxing to me, knowing I don't have to rush before the kids wake up or I have to pick them up. One of our friends commented to us, "You look like a couple on vacation." It has been very nice.

One of the things I like most about these meetings are all the old friends you see. Some we've kept in touch with over the years and know where they are and what they're doing. Others we catch up with once a year at CBF. These are people you don't think about in your day to day life, but when you see them again you remember that these are the people we lived life with for 3 years in seminary. We've also caught up with former professors and pastors that have had a huge impact in our lives. It is just a very refreshing time to visit with others in the ministry and be encouraged and challenged by what they are doing. Last night we heard Lauran Bethell speak. She is one of my heroes that Taylor and I first became aware of in England a few years ago. Lauran is amazing and works around the world with women and children who are victims of human trafficking and prostitution. She is such a courageous woman and I am always humbled when I hear her speak.

This afternoon Taylor and I are going to go to the Civil Rights Museum which is supposed to be very moving. Other than that, we haven't done much sight seeing in Memphis. Our hotel is right by Beale Street, so we have seen that. I think we will actually leave Memphis without seeing Graceland. I guess we'll survive. The kids have had a GREAT time in Texarkana. Taylor's parents are driving them to Shreveport this morning and my parents and sister are on their way there to pick them up. My family will go on to Vicksburg and spend the night there and visit with my grandparents. Tomorrow morning Taylor and I will get up early and meet them in Jackson. Then we are all traveling done to Gulf Shores, Alabama for a week at the beach. I told you we were covering a lot of states! Our friends the Hamiltons will join us there. Looking forward to it!

1 comment:

Lundy Wilder said...

Be very careful in downtown Memphis....murder capitol of the South. Be careful anywhere in memphis, lock doors, do not talk to strangers asking the time, for change, etc..I finally left there after 45 years..
and
ck the fun stuff to do in Gulf SHores at Gulf Shores Alabama Website