.

Thursday, June 12, 2008

The Toothbrush


My kids teach me things all the time. It is amazing how much more I understand God's love for me since having them. One of those ah-hah moments happened this morning. John Curtis is OBSESSED with his toothbrush. He wants it all the time. After I brushed his teeth this morning, it was time to go. He cried when I took it away from him, then I shut the bathroom door so he couldn't get to it. He stood at the door and SCREAMED. I wanted to take him to the pool for a fun morning of swimming with friends, he wanted to chew on his toothbrush. He usually doesn't like it when he thinks I'm leaving him so I loaded up our pool stuff and walked out to the garage thinking he would follow me. Nope. He was still crying at the door wanting that toothbrush. I got everything loaded up (including Sophie) and still he hadn't budged. Finally, I had to pick him up and carry him, still crying, to the van. He pretty much cried to whole way to the pool - until we pulled into the parking lot. Since we go swimming most mornings he knew where he was. As soon as he saw the pool he started pointing (another obsession of his) and his whole face lit up with excitement. When we got to the pool area, the music was playing and John Curtis started dancing and laughing. I said, "Aren't you glad you came to the pool instead of staying home chewing on your toothbrush?" I'm sure he understood me:) Actually, he may not have learned anything new today, but I did. There have been specific times I can remember in my prayer life when I can visually see myself throwing a fit before God. I want something (or don't want something) so bad that I can't see how anything else would be better. What I want may be like chewing on a toothbrush. It's fun for a while. But God wants to take me swimming where it's so much fun that I dance and laugh. Now I'm not saying what God has for us is always more fun than what we want, but sometimes we might miss out on what's great for what is just good. Had I not physically moved John Curtis he might still be standing at the bathroom door screaming. I just wanted to say to him, "Trust me buddy. What I have planned for you today is so much better!" So I too am learning to trust and I'm thankful for the lessons I learn through my children.

3 comments:

Janet said...

What a beautiful picture! I have been struggling with this very concept lately, as I ponder why God chose not to give me something I really longed for. (Gosh I sound so selfish.) It was a "good" thing and I felt it was His will, but apparently it wasn't. Thanks for reminding me not to pitch my fit, because even if what God has in store for me is not something I think is better, I know he loves me and is doing what is best for me. BTW, Kade is obsessed with his toothbrush too and we have had many a fit thrown over them!

Debbie Mendrop said...

Ah, my wise and mature daughter! I am so thankful for your children, for SOOOO many reasons. You have just given me another one. Isn't God good, good all the time!

Julie Walker said...

Grant is obsessed with any toothbrush he sees. He loves those things. I guess next week at the beach if we want to keep JC and Grant entertained we can just give them a toothbrush to chew on, it will buy us a few relaxing minutes!